Blog Prompt #4

There are certainly negatives to polarization, as nothing is perfect. Losing friends over differing opinions has become more commonplace, especially with social media and the fact people exist who think arguing over social media can accomplish anything. The algorithm on social media that shows us other news items based on what we have previously liked also does us no favors in terms of hearing new viewpoints and perspectives.

Sure, there are extreme cases, but every day, people work alongside and coexist peacefully with those who have differing opinions on politics.

Ultimately though, the fact we are allowed to have so many different viewpoints broadcast publicly is a great thing that we should not take for granted. I'm sure in countries like China and Saudi Arabia, citizens wished that they have access to as many different opinions and perspectives as we do in the West.

In the mainstream media, are some opinions more common than others? Absolutely. That's fine, even if you don't agree with them. I see it as a great thing that we can hear a wide variety of different viewpoints and not have people punished for voicing them.

Comments

  1. Elliott, I couldn't agree more with the points you've offered here. Before social media, it seemed easier to coexist without letting politics affect friendships, but now that people can openly see what their friends and family are thinking, it seems harder for people to accept each other.

    I actually had an uncle unfriend me on Facebook this election season because I'm "too liberal" for him. He said the things I share on Facebook "go against his beliefs" and he couldn't bare to see them, apparently. I rarely, if ever, actually post or share anything political on Facebook, but he could see things that I "liked" in his newsfeed. I had to walk him through the process of sending me a new friend request and unfollowing me so that his views would no longer be challenged.

    Despite agreeing or disagreeing, I do think it's truly great that we have access to many different perspectives in this country and that we're free to hold whatever beliefs we choose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stefany, thanks for your insightful comment and I am sorry you had to deal with a family member do that.

    People usually have a reason for feeling why they do about things, so if them holding those views bothers you so much it's best to politely ask why rather than dismissing them or assuming they are out to get you/have bad intentions.

    Polarization has always existed, but with social media it has now gotten more publicity and is in the spotlight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is interesting that you mention losing friends over differing opinions because I think this used to happen even before social media. I once broke up with a girlfriend over what I viewed as her backward politics. So it definitely happened. But I do suspect that it happens with greater regularity today. FB and Twitter are partly to blame. But I think the cable talk shows Jacobs and Townsley discuss -- and John Stewart laments-- are also to blame. They model civic debate as screaming matches and slug fests. And we-- the public-- often imitate them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Prompt #5

Blog Prompt #6